Vanguard Academy is focused on high quality instruction and materials in the field of early childhood. Vanguard Academy Pre-K was developed by early childhood experts in every domain of development to create an intentional and integrated curriculum.
Designed around the latest scientific early brain development research, Our Infant curriculum is designed to build strong foundations for little one’s ages 0-18 months. This child-centered program includes easy-to-use activities that:
Equip caregivers to nurture the little ones in their care
Optimize key windows of opportunity for growth and development
Are designed with intention and purpose and organized around developmental learning domains
Feature Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline® strategies to enhance social and emotional development
Designed around the latest scientific early brain development research, this year-round program focuses on enhancing the simple joy of childhood while equipping caregivers to nurture curiosity through exploration. Vanguard Academy incorporates Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline® and includes 52 weeks of activity choices specifically created for children ages 18-36 months. Vanguard Academy Toddler offers:
Activity choices organized around five developmental domains
Differentiated instruction options to meet the needs of all learners
Easy infusion into daily routines, such as diaper changing, transitions and outdoor play
Designed with intention and purpose to move children forward in their development
Three years old
The cognitive, physical and social skills of most rapidly developing three-year-olds are significantly different from other ages, according to early childhood brain research. Despite these differences, three-year-olds have been combined with either younger or older children in traditional classrooms, due to the lack of developmentally appropriate instruction. Recognizing this gap, Vanguard Academy has announced the launch of the first-ever comprehensive curriculum for three-year-olds! Vanguard Academy Threes provides intentional instruction in key areas of development so children ages 36-48 months can effectively continue on the path to kindergarten readiness. Key components include:
Easy-to-use activities developed around early brain development research
Well-rounded scope of activities that address all developmental domains
Intentional instruction that optimizes key windows of opportunity for growth and development
Social and emotional emphasis featuring Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline®
Vanguard Academy Pre-K (FSPK) is a high quality, research-based curriculum organized into ten skills domains that support integration of curriculum and builds connections between and among all disciplines.
Highlights include innovations to produce measurable gains in student achievement:
- The authorship team of FSPK brings a wealth of expertise in the field of early childhood classroom experience, social and emotional intelligence, brain development, literacy, second language learning, STEM practices and cultural sensitivity to the instruction and materials in the curriculum. Led by senior author, Dr. Pam Schiller, the curriculum integrates content and embeds current research based best practices through instructional strategies.
- Another innovation is the inclusion of Conscious Discipline® strategies to support social and emotional intelligence and, in turn, cognitive performance. FSPK is the sole curriculum integrating this proven program into the daily instruction.
- Differentiated learning strategies and materials for a full range of learners include grouping strategies and scaffolding. Adaptations for Young Learners Teacher Guide, exclusive to FSPK, is an additional teacher guide targeting literacy, math, and integrated learning centers for learners not ready for the four year old program.
- Instruction in FSPK supports multicultural relevancy with materials and resources for languages other than Spanish. Dr. Alma Flor Ada, senior author, includes the importance of developing the home language, acquiring literacy naturally and focuses on cultural sensitivity throughout the curriculum.
- Equality of materials and instruction in English and Spanish is a distinctive feature of FSPK including language sensitive adaptations and cultural sensitivity. Sensitivity to letter knowledge and, particularly, phonological awareness is evident in the sequence of instruction.
- English Language Learner instruction in FSPK incorporates research in second language acquisition with classroom strategies for the Natural Approach, Total Physical Approach and Cooperative Learning. Materials and resources include pronunciation keys for five languages, full color photographs and strategies at point of use for whole group, small group and learning center activities.
- FSPK features distinct home/school/community connections linked to thematic units and the scope and sequence. Dr. Patricia Edwards, author and past IRA President, contributed research-based best practices on family involvement in the curriculum. Family Connections resources are available for print or online.
- Innovative approaches in FSPK incorporate current research based instruction for literacy included in the National Early Literacy Panel and Beyond, 2013. In addition, the instructional models in FSPK target strategies to ensure long term memory, alertness, and information processing based on brain science research. FSPK also incorporates STEM education, an approach to teaching and learning that integrates the content and skills of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- FSPK provides innovative technology for students with Vanguard Academy Pre-K Interactive Software which contains over 100 Spanish and English activities in phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, written expression, listening comprehension, vocabulary development and math skills and concepts. Software activities align with weekly instruction for sustained practice of skills. Learning extends to the home with eBooks of all the literature titles in FSPK.
- Innovative technology for teachers offers online resources which include interactive lesson planning, teacher guides and eBooks. The FSPK Digital Online Library guides instruction and is easily accessible from computers, tablets, and smartphones.